Nancy Ellen Canon, b. 17 April 1808 in Pennsylvania, d. 4 November 1890 in Oregon, Missouri
Father: John Canon (1), b. 11 March 1769 in Tyrone Twp., Bedford County, Pennsylvania, d. in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, d. 9 April 1815 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Mother: Elizabeth Steele, b. 13 September 1769 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 12 July 1842 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
In the 1850's, Nancy Canon Jackson, and her husband, John Finley Jackson, relocated in Oregon, Missouri. Among their children were four daughters, namely, Elizabeth Steele Jackson Kreek, Sarah Orick Jackson Ramsay, Jane Harrah Jackson Morgan, and Rebecca Jackson Castle.
Agnes Canon is the daughter of a brother of John Canon, Nancy's father. She came from a large family, all old maids and old bachelors. Agnes accompanied the Canons and Jacksons on their move to Missouri. She kind of came along for the ride as excess baggage. She assisted with the care of the young children of her relatives.
In the 1850s there were no Molly Wards or women's lib groups. Agnes' future did not look too promising for several reasons, particularly in a wilderness with limited career opportunities and available suitors. She was already in her 30s and unmarried like all her siblings who remained at the old homestead in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Robinson was a fellow Lodge member of both Canon and Jackson. In due time, Agnes was manipulated into a romance with the eligible and widowed doctor. Both Robinson and Agnes were alone. This seemed an appropriate disassociation of Agnes from the Canons by pawning her off, more or less, onto the good doctor. Agnes and Dr. Roginson had two children who died after a trip that Agnes took back home to see her brothers and sisters. They had one more child and then they moved to Colorado where Dr. Robinson drowned in a river. After his death, Agnes went back to Pennsylvania and lived with her family where her brothers and sisters helped her raise her child. He went on to be a prominent man - even serving in the legislature.
Spouse: John Finley Jackson, b. 26 June 1806 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 13 May 1862 in Oregon, Missouri
Father: John Jackson
Mother: Sarah Orrick, b. 16 April 1761 in Baltimore County, Maryland
In the spring of 1852 a group of 25-30 family members of all ages departed Laurel Hill near Fort Necessity, Pennsylvania. John Finley Jackson and his brother-in-law, Samuel Rankin Canon, were the leaders. They traveled together via a fleet of flatboats first on the Monongahela River, down the Ohio, up the Mississippi to St. Louis, continuing upstream via the Missouri River docking in Forest City in October 1852.
One group of relatives settled north of Forest City in Canon Hollow now the home of Schuylkill Metals Corporation. The two leaders bought property and settled in the Richville area and became involved in community affairs.
Jackson was highly educated for the times and was a teacher and lawyer. Canon was an organizer and became a county judge.
John Finley Jackson was a twin to Susanna Jackson.
Married 1 April 1833 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
John Canon (1), b. 11 March 1769 in Tyrone Twp., Bedford County, Pennsylvania, d. in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, m. Elizabeth Rankin, ca. 1789 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 9 April 1815 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Father: Daniel Canon (1), b. 28 April 1744 in VA, d. 5 February 1797 in Franklin Twp., Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Mother: Agnes McClelland, b. 26 February 1749 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 1 February 1823 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Spouse: Elizabeth Steele, b. 13 September 1769 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 12 July 1842 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Father: William Steele
Mother: Mary Trimble
Her nickname was "Betsey". She is buried in the Old Laurel Hill Cemetery north of Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
Married ca. 1797 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Father: ? Canon
High on a knoll, overlooking a picturesque scattering of farms, in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, north of Uniontown, lies the original site of the First Presbyterian Church established west of the Allegheny Mountains in 1772. Also, the Old Laurel Hill Church Cemetery was established in the church yard. This location is difficult to find now, and does not appear on any maps. The coordinates for the cemetery are 39.97374N 79.67851W. Directions from Connellsville: From Rte 119 and Crawford Ave, go West on Crawford Ave for 5 miles, bear left on Bute Rd for .1 mile, then bear left on Race Path Rd. In .2 miles the cemetery will be on the left in the trees on the hilltop. This is private property, so anyone wishing to visit should get permission. As of summer 2015 the fence had been knocked down for a time and the cemetery trampled by cattle. The Canon monuments were propped against a tree. We are trying to arrange for the restoration of the cemetery, so if anyone wishes to help out please contact us.
Captain Canon and his wife, Agnes McClelland Canon, along with other kin folks dating back to the late 1700's are buried in the original church yard at Laurel Hill, Pennsylvania.
The Canon's son, John, and his wife, Elizabeth Steele Canon, are among the deceased resting in this historical burial plot. Disposition of Captain Canon's estate was made at an orphans court at Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on the fourth Monday of December 1797. The petitioner was John Canon, his eldest son, who assumed the role of "head of the family" for his widowed mother and underage siblings.
The unrelenting Indian attacks over 200 years ago compelled the Laurel Hill congregation to relocate in a more secure area. Consequently, the original 1772 church building was abandoned so it has been "long gone" Also, the original church cemetery was permitted to fall into near ruins and many grave sites were lost to neglect. For some reason, the Canon family monuments have remained intact all these years. Daniel's headstone says "In memory of Daniel Canon who departed this life 2/5/1797 in the 53rd year of his age". His chattel property was appraised at $214 and sold to pay for the education of his children.
In the 1930's, two descendants of Captain Canon purchased the abandoned church site, established a small trust and constructed a cyclone fence around the Canon grave sites. Again time and neglect took it's toll until 1977. Another interested descendant rediscovered the abandoned area...over 200 years after it's original establishment...and arranged for an appropriate dedication service to be conducted.
In the summer of 1985, an older descendant recognized that time was "running out" and personally traveled to the area. Consequently, steps have been taken to preserve this historical site and get it so recorded for posterity. You are encouraged to visit the site located in North Union Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Detailed maps will be sent upon request.
If you are willing, able and/or interested in making a contribution, tax deductible checks can be made to "Old Presbyterian Graveyard Fund" and mailed to:
Samuel J. Robinson, Jr.
207 Delaplain Road
Winchester, Kentucky 40391Note: Much of the above came from a letter requesting donations to the Old Presbyterian Graveyard Fund written by Samuel J. Robinson, Jr. This fund does not appear to be active any longer, and attempts to contact Mr. Robinson have been unsuccessful.
Daniel may have been born in Spottslyvania County, VA, because a Canon family lived there in the 1720s and because Daniel owned and farmed 460 acres based on a Virginia land certificate. He called his estate "Canoon" and it was just west of land owned by John McClelland. John McClelland was either his wife's father or brother. Daniel held three Franklin Township offices: overseer of the poor in 1784, supervisor in 1789 and constable in 1793.
As did most male pioneers, Daniel engaged in Indian fighting. He went on the Sandusky Expedition in June, 1782, in retalition for several Indian raids into western Pennsylvania. Ellis's history of Fayette County quotes a contemporary's account of the battle: "Some of the borderers climbed trees, and from their bushy tops took deadly aim at the heads of the enemy as they rose above the grass. Daniel Canon was conspicous [sic] in this novel mode of warfare. He was one of the dead shots of the army, and from his lofty hiding place the reports of his unerring rifle gave unmistakable evidence of the killing of savages. 'I do not know how many Indians I killed, ' he said afterwards, 'but I never the same head again above the grass after I shot at it.'"
Fayette County had sixteen militia companies during the Revolutionary War era and Daniel Canon was the captain of one.
Daniel was a slave holder. Pennsylvania's 1788 Emancipation Act required the registration of slaves and Daniel, and later his widow, Agnes, registered them until 1803. No registration numbers remain but the state's 1785 tax payer list shows he owned one slave and the 1790 census lists him as owning three.
Spouse: Agnes McClelland, b. 26 February 1749 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, d. 1 February 1823 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Father: William McClelland, b. 1709 in Ireland, d. 1770
Mother: Mary Ross, b. ca. 1714
Married 1768 in Tyrone Twp., Bedford County, Pennsylvania.
William McClelland, b. 1709 in Ireland, d. 1770
Spouse: Mary Ross, b. ca. 1714
Married ca. 1734 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Spouse: Mary Trimble
Country of origin may be Ireland.